I'm a Kamloops Arts & Crafts Blogger!

Whether I’m sewing, crocheting, card making, painting, or doodling, I’d love you to come join me in my studio in Kamloops, B.C. Don’t forget to check out my free digitals and vintage graphics while you’re here. Enjoy your visit!

Please see my Digital Stamps Info & Terms page for terms of use on freebies and some helpful information on digital stamps.

Oct 28, 2011

Birthday Awning Card and Free Digi's!

Hi there! :)

You have all been leaving such incredibly sweet comments!! Thank you so much!!

Welcome to all my new followers as well!! I hope you will all enjoy visiting my little corner of the web. I sure love having everyone visit!! 

So today I'm going to show you an Awning Card. I made this card for my daughter in law Mandy, whose work I sometimes feature on this blog. She's a real sweetheart!! As a matter of fact, I just love all my DIL's...they're all just wonderful women who are just perfect for my boys. I really mean that!! I get along with them all.  I'm SO blessed!!

Anyway, It is Mandy's birthday this Sunday...and I'm hoping she doesn't look at the blog until after she gets the card. I know, I know...

Here's the card'
 I like to give credit where credit is due. This is not my original design, but got it from Stampin' with Di, who got it from someone named Elsie Camp from a swap at a convention. I cannot find a blog for her. Diana Gibb has a video tutorial on how to make the card HERE. Check it out if you're interested.

Here are the measurements for the card bits:

Basic Card: Score at 5.5" and cut at 4.25"
White cardstock for image: 4.25" X 3.5" (I sized the image itself on the cardstock at about 4")
Awning: Main backing cardstock: 4.25" X 1.25"
Awning: Stripes - Window Slot Punch, white (5) and designer cardstock (6)
Bottom Portion: Double sided designer cardstock 4.25"X 3.25" (scallop one edge and score at 0.5")

I glued the window slots onto the backing cardstock for the awning. I didn't butt them right up to each other but left a teensy bit of space. I also used the lines on my cutter to keep things straight.
I bent one side one way, and the opposite side I bent the other way. Like so:
I Cuttlebugged the bottom portion of the card with the Pinstripe Folder by Couture Creations.
I used some Baker's Twine on the card as well.
I used some stickles on the Digi, and pop dots for the sentiment.

The nice thing about this card is that you can make a shoe store, and ice cream shoppe, a flower shop, etc. In fact, check back because I'll make up some more Digi's that would work well with this card. 

Anyone have any other ideas that might work? No guarantees, but suggestions are welcome! :)

And here's the Digital Stamp I have for you today. You need fine markers for coloring these!
Here is the 'Birthday Sweets' sentiment page. I've put a bunch on one page; I figure you can probably use the extras another time anyway! I made them simple, because sometimes a simple sentiment looks best on a card.
Well, that's it for today. I hope you've enjoyed visiting! I've sure enjoyed having you!
UPDATE:
Here are my newer images that can be used with the Awning Card.

Gale, from Playing With Paper Again made up an Awning Card using some of my images. She did a wonderful job on the card....but then, she does a wonderful job on ALL her cards! Go check her out...you'll be glad you did!! Here's her card!
Here's a couple more cards using some of these images by Sandy! I'm sorry, I don't have a blog to link to, but these are too nice not to share!! Thanks Sandy!
Karen, from Serendipity Dragonfly made up a bunch of samples for her Club. Karen directs the ladies to my site to download the free digi's and then teaches them how to make up the cards. She also has some other samples of images you can use with these cards. They're just so versatile! Do click on the link above and check out her site for some fabulous cards!
CG, from CG-Says Something Loudly made up an Awning Card using the cake stand digi...and then she also added a sliding detail to the card. How clever!! Go check out the blog post at the link and have a look see!


Here's another done by Andaje from HotchPotch Ehhh?? Adorable, isn't it? She's also made something to place it in. Check out her blog! 

Blessings!
Carmen

85 comments:

  1. Really cute card! That awning looks awesome! And thank you for sharing the images!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute Carmen and thanks so much for the digis! ~chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ow wow! What a great card! And your digi is fabulous. Love that smorgasboard of yummies. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely delightful! I can almost taste those cakes! Thanks so much for sharing .... the digis, and that fabulous Awning Card! Wow!
    hugs from Oz,
    Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cute card,and thanks for the cute digi's.
    Jocelan

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun and fabulous card, Carmen!!! Thanks so much for sharing the marvelous digis and the card instructions. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Idea for a card thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these, thank you so very much hugs Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous card Carmen...what an awesome idea ..oh! you could have a pet shop, for animals lovers...that would be cute...thankyou for sharing your digis...love the sentiments..

    Luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. your card is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. p.s. how much is that doggy in the window. a pet store maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, very much appreciated x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for these lovely images and sentiments.

    Love Joan xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank u so much and what a great card and instructions

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much Carmen - how strange though...... I've just made a similar awning card after finding the instructions on the internet!!! Great minds think alike eh? But love your cakes and sentiments - they will make a great card. Thanks again.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. O wow, I love everything about this very sweet card! Will check the tutorial later. Thanks so much for the link and the super sweet cakes and sentiments! Love, love them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely card. Thanks for sharing that and the freebies. x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your awning! Thanks for the absolutely adorable digi!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the cupcakes. And I'll bet you could use some other fun foods--hot dog stand; ice cream parlor. I could see this as a fruit/veggie stand, too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice card! Thanks for the digi!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow - what a fabulous card. Love the cake image and the birthday wishes. The awning looks really cool and will plan on trying it someday. Thank you for your inspiration and the freebies!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this card. Wish I had that punch but will make a plan. Just perfect for a birthday card for a friend next week. Thanks for sharing and for the digi's.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful card! Love the canopy. Thank you so much for the sweet digi.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are sweet for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome card & THANK YOU soooooooo much for sharing the great sentiments with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The awning card is SO cute...would love to have a whole stash of them!!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you so much! Love your card and love the beautiful digis! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the awesome card, and your sentiments are wonderful! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, your card came out great! Thank you for sharing the digital images, too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for sharing these great images! I love the card. Norma W

    ReplyDelete
  31. Awesome creation....go you!
    I'm blessed with fabulous DLs too...isn't it fun?
    As always, love your work, and your digis are such a sweet gift....haaaaa!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love how you did the awning, thank you so much for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, what a great card. Thanks for sharing how you made the awning and for the digis.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for these adorable images and sentiments! I discovered your blog because someone posted a link at the Operation Write Home FB page. I'm glad to have found you. Thank you for giving the instructions for the card in such detail, too! That's so helpful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a cute card. You could do a storefront for dresses, purses, dogs, yarn, candy, apothecary jars, antiques, restaurant, coffee,or even tools for the men. Marilou S.

    ReplyDelete
  36. That is darling, Carmen. Thanks so much. I love your site. You always have really interesting and useful digis. You're great!

    ReplyDelete
  37. What an adorable card! Thanks for the image and sentiments!

    ReplyDelete
  38. How fun are these digis?! ... and your card is amazing! Thanks so much. Love the idea of a pet shop ... how about a shoe shop or little French Boutique?
    ~ Carol B. ~

    ReplyDelete
  39. These desserts are great. I can't wait to try making this card. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your card is super. Thank you for the sheet of sentiments. They are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh i love these images...thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wow, I can't believe these are freebies. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Such a darling card. Mandy will be thrilled! Thanks for the freebies and all the information on how to see the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  44. wow fantastic tutorial and I looove the images
    sue

    ReplyDelete
  45. Great Card! Thank you for the "Sweet" images xx

    ReplyDelete
  46. Cute card, thank you for the instructions and the link to the video. Thank you for the images, too.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wow, wonderful card, thanks for the images and for the link to Stampin with Di, watched the video, I might even try it.

    ReplyDelete
  48. thank you! thank you! great digi and fun card.

    ReplyDelete
  49. thanks for the tutorial. I am lost without the tutorials and thank you for the digis. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  50. Great card Carmen, I'm sure your dil loved it! Thanks for the great image and sentiment. I will definitly have a go at this sometime. It would actually make a cool Christmas card with a toy shop. Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Love your digis, the pastries are yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Thanks for the sweeeeet digis!! lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Great awning card. TFS the digi's!!!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Love it Carmen! Thanks for sharing!

    Sandy :)

    ReplyDelete
  55. So kind of you to share your work...thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  56. thanks for the digis and neat blog. I made a card like this for a friend in the hospital, he had a stroke and was in for a long time, I used a picture of his cat, looking out the window, put
    "just watchin out the window" and inside put "for you to come home", It turned out really well. such a neat idea for cards. thanks again, Jean

    ReplyDelete
  57. Your card is fantastic! And thank you for the amazing images!!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Fab card. Might have to try this out x

    ReplyDelete
  59. Thank you for the cake digis. They are "sweet"! Jane

    ReplyDelete
  60. Thank you so much for the lovely digis!
    They're very sweet!
    Terrie

    ReplyDelete
  61. I really liked your suggestions of a shoe store and a flower shop, Carmen. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  62. What an amazing card. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Thank you for sharing your images and card idea.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Wow!! Great card. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  65. thank you for sharing - my favourite subject!

    ReplyDelete
  66. Your card is great! I really love the red & white theme, and your digi really finishes off this card so sweetly! lol Thanks again for your fabulous digis!

    ReplyDelete
  67. Wow! This card is fabulous - A+++!

    Thanks for the digis.

    Blessings,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  68. Adorable!! Thank you for the digis!!

    ReplyDelete
  69. Snagged and played with your freebie. Thanks for the link to the video. I have already mades 5-6 of these using both your freebie and bits and pieces of other digis to make other types of store fronts!
    Please come by and check out my first one on my blog! I also did a step by step tutorial that is also on my blog. (video is great but sometimes I need pics to look at!)

    http://galevarland.blogspot.com/2011/11/something-different.html

    :) gale

    ReplyDelete
  70. What an awesome card and tutorial, thank you! Love the digis to go with it...can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  71. Hello, I love reading through your blog, I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wish you best of luck for all your best efforts. Garden Umbrellas, Window Awnings.

    ReplyDelete
  72. thank you for the awning card stamps, I just love them. I made one of the bakery for my sisters birthday. thanks again.
    Catie

    ReplyDelete
  73. I finally tried out this great tutorial...thank you so much for the digi too! Thanks so much Carmen, you rock. http://cg-says.blogspot.com/2012/04/its-tuesday-must-be-party-time.html

    ReplyDelete

  74. Hi Carmen
    Was inspired by your card and digi and created this - thanks for sharing your idea + digis
    http://hotchypotch.blogspot.dk/2012/10/october-2012-tea-swap-part-2.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments!